Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Disappointment. I has it.

The annual Perseid meteor shower is peaking this week (meaning tonight/tomorrow night). I haven't been to a good meteor shower since before Sebastian was born. I have a nice little spot at a Kitty Hawk beach access that's perfect - benches, no light, huge ocean to look over. It's awesome. I usually spend about 2 hours there. I take coffee, an mp3 player, and a camera. It's good times.

So I was really amped for this year's display. At first, I couldn't leave the house for too long because Sebastian was just a tiny baby. Then the weather didn't cooperate. Then I was too lazy. Then the weather didn't cooperate again. This year though, I was ready. I was absolutely getting up and going to enjoy myself. I set my alarm for 1:30 AM.

Then I got stuck on YouTube. Don't ask me what I was doing...that's a blog for a different day. When I finally hauled my cookies to bed an hour later, I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned for another hour before finally falling asleep. 1:30 came and went. 1:40, and I finally got up, shuffled outside, and looked at the sky. The humidity outside nearly crushed me. Holy shit, it was fucking humid!! The sky was clear above my house. It's too bright and there are too many trees to enjoy a meteor shower here. I went back in, got dressed, made a cup of coffee, and grabbed my shit.

I was three blocks down the road when it started to lightening. I looked up, and the it was completely cloudy as far as the eye could see. I decided to drive the 5 miles to my honey hole anyway. More lightning. The only other people out and about with me were the drunks stumbling out of bars, the taxi drivers to pick up the smart ones, and the po-po to pick up the stupid ones. By the time I got to my sweet spot, the lightning was worse, there were a few rumbles of thunder, and I was wide afuckingwake. I have to clean my house but my guys are sleeping. I don't want to make too much noise. I can't get back to sleep because I've already had 2 cups of coffee.

So I'm watching the beautiful Matt Bomer con some poor schmuck on White Collar.


And I will try this Perseid shit again in 23 hours.

No comments: